Don’t waste time wondering, we have the answers.

If you’re like most people, you probably have a few questions about the settlement process. Or you need a reliable business to help meet the clauses in your contract, like property inspectors and pest control services.

You’ve come to the right place. We love sharing our knowledge and experience.

Although individuals are legally allowed to attempt settling their own property transaction, you should know that it’s tricky and time-consuming. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ll run into all sorts of problems. That’s why you should go to an expert. Either a licensed settlement agent or a property lawyer.

Settlement agents are responsible for transferring the ownership of property from the seller to the buyer. A successful settlement depends on accurate paper work (mountains of it ) and ensuring that the clauses in the contract of sale are met.

Settlement agents generally take care of:

  • Completion and lodgement of transfer documents to change the details of ownership on the certificate of title.
  • Making necessary enquiries regarding council rates, water rates, land tax and title searches
  • Keeping you informed throughout the settlement process
  • Attending settlement on your behalf
The major difference is that settlement agents are not qualified to give you legal advice. Most property settlements are straight-forward and professional advice from a licensed settlement agent is good enough. But when legal advice is required, they’ll refer you to a third party lawyer. If your settlement agent is a lawyer, you’ve just saved yourself a lot of time and effort.
Any lawyer with a current practising certificate is allowed to attend to the settlement of your property. But if they’re not doing settlements regularly, chances are you won’t get the best service or result. With more than 30 years practising in predominantly property law, there is very little we haven’t done before.

Here are a few things to consider when choosing a settlement agent:

  • How much experience do they have?
  • Are the legally qualified?
  • Do they provide a transparent service?
  • Are they owned or tied to a real estate agent?
  • Do they act for both parties?
  • How competitive are their fees?
Settlement agents may act on behalf of both the seller and the buyer if they have written consent to do so. But this is not something we recommend. If a conflict arises between you and the other party, the settlement agent can no longer act for one or both sides which means you’ll have to find a new agent, mid-settlement.
Located in the heart of Perth CBD you can pop in to see us anytime. Our office is on Level 3, 45 St Georges Terrace.
If you’re travelling to the city to see us we’ll happily make one of our parking bays available to you. Simply give us a call to make sure your bay is free for your scheduled appointment.
No, if you’re strapped for time or can’t get to us, we’ll come to you. Give us a call on 08 6210 7055.
We enjoy working with Perth Property Inspections and Swat A Pest and we’re sure they’ll give you a great service too.